Friday, July 8, 2011

McCall's 5433: Milly sailboat print button-up

I thought a dock down the street would be the most appropriate setting to shoot this top:




This fabric was a fabulous score acquired on my recent trip to the Garment Disrict: while getting ready to check out at Metro Textiles, I reached over to look at a bolt of fabric and bumped into a pile of propped up bolts.  A small roll plopped out onto the floor, and I (mentally) gasped with delight... You see, I stalk net-a-porter, and I had recently saved an inspiration image of a shirt made of the fabric that just tapped my foot... 

Detail of fabric from net-a-porter.com

I would have added sleeves to this top, but unfortunately, there was just over 1 yard left of this soft cotton voile, which was $12/yard.  In fact, I was so tight on fabric that I had to reduce the seam allowance on the sides and finish the edges with the serger instead of French seams.

The pattern is M5433 by Palmer/Pletsch; I made the shorter version, but with no sleeves: 


Because the fabric is relatively sheer I underlined the entire shirt with plain white cotton voile, which of course added to the construction time.  

An inside-out view of the top showing the underlining. 

This shirt took at least 8 hours to make - significantly longer than the 3 hours Palmer/Pletsch suggests this will take to sew.  Ah well, perhaps next time now that I've sewn the pattern once.  I cut a 10 in the shoulders/armscye and a 12 in the rest of the top; the top is quite fitted because of the 2 front darts and vertical back dart, which I think makes for a flattering button-up.  I used vintage buttons from my large button jar stash. 

The total cost of this designer fabric knock-off top was under $20.   Why again doesn't everyone sew?

39 comments:

Anna said...

I LOVE that fabric...great find!

Peter said...

Great top, Rachel! Love that print.

Psycho Sue- Sew Misunderstood said...

oooooo! so cute! And I can appreciate all the time that goes into the smallest of garments =-)

Karin said...

What a find! It really is the exact same fabric. I love the 1950s off to summer camp vibe. Very cute with the red shorts.

Pretty Kitty said...

Looks Great!!! Lucky find!

Debbie Cook said...

Great top, and wonderful photo scene.

Etcetorize said...

Super cute. I gasp when I find great fabric finds too...sometimes it's not in my head though~

Debi said...

LOVE it! What a fabulous top! Such a great print and a classic cut!

Darci said...

What a flattering top in such a fun print! Love that you went to the dock to shoot it, too. Ahoy, matey!

Barbara said...

Cuute!!

Audrey said...

OMG, it the exact same fabric! Super cute blouse

amber said...

Not only an adorable top, but I love the outfit and backdrop for the photoshoot. Not sure if you had finished it in time, but this would have been the perfect outfit for a 4th of July bbq. :)

Sherry said...

Gorgeous - top and outfit! I so love the fabric, and when it jumps out and hits you on the foot like that, it is obviously meant to be!

Lori said...

Adorable shirt and great background for your pictures.

Lisa said...

I really like your shirt , it looks fab with your red shorts. The backdrop is beautiful .

MushyWear said...

What a great score on that fabric! Your blouse is super cute and has a fantastic fit. Love the location of your photo shoot too!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Love it! What a very fortunate accident finding the exact same fabric. It looks great on you!

Carolyn said...

Such adorable fabric!!! The top is very cute, and yes, your photo setting is perfect to show off this nautical-but-in-a-good-way top!

Faye Lewis said...

Cute, cool and summery. Love that top.

Shelly said...

What a great little top! I love that the fabric called out to you. It's so cute. And the setting...perfect for showing off the fabric!

House of Pinheiro said...

Great choices !!

Gail said...

I love that shirt pattern - it is a never fail. Very interesting fabric - you scored well.

No Regrets, Inc. said...

Love the fabric love the pattern love the lining! Take that, net-a-porter!

gwensews said...

Ahoy matie! that is a wondcerful blouse!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

The fit is fantastic! I passed on that pattern because the envelope looks rather shapeless, but your version has just the right amount of ease. Love the photo shoot location, hee.

Lindsay T said...

I buy Milly fabric whenever I see it! Love yours and the cute top. Other places to find Milly in the district: Elliott Berman Textiles and TrueMart Fabrics across from FIT. EBT is the best for it.

McVal said...

I KNOW!! Why don't more people sew? My daughter is sewing on my diningroom table with her best friend today to make a pair of matching shorts so they can match on the first day of school. With the fabric being free, it's a win win!

Cennetta said...

Great looking knock out. I wonder the same thing, "Why doesn't everyone sew." You can build the wardrobe of your dreams for a fraction of the cost.

Rosy said...

Hey! I need your email address and I'll write the exact recipe of the cherry liqueur for you, if you do not find alcohol to drink in your city pharmacies, you can replace it by Ron White, it will be the same .... The liquor needs six months to drink it, if you drink before you're likely to end with a hole in the stomach, heh, heh. It needs six months (minimum) to soften the flavor, I send you all the details by email the next weekend. Wonderful blouse!!!

Sunduri Das said...

Great job! This turned out beautifully.

Mimi Jackson said...

I know why everyone doesn't sew. The project has to exist in your head before your hands can ever execute it. The mechanics of sewing may be something anyone can do, but the education, creativity, and imagination are things that are unique to only some. When I make things, the question i always get, is "Can you make one for me?", and hardly ever, "Can you teach me to sew?". So many people aren't interested in the process; only the product! That's what's missing!

Jen said...

Wonderful Top.

FSW said...

I love your blog and the patterns you've chosen. I'll be going through your archives for more ideas. Great job!

Joni James said...

Wow, your sewing skills are great and you have an eye for fashion!

Lynneb said...

SUCH a cute top...i love it!

Kathy said...

Love your fabric.....talk about perfect combination....and with the boats for a background....! May we use this photo and a link to your blog on our Facebook page, Fb.mccallpatterns.com. Please email me at valeryp@mccallpattern.com with your reply.

Valery

Keira said...

Are you sure its cost only $20? Wow, I think I decide to sew start from now since it can save my money.

bir kase lezzet said...

cute :)

Anna said...

What a beautiful blog. I love your style, its so individual which is so great to see.
Anna
http://opshopaholic.blogspot.co.nz/