I made sure to double-check, a few times, that all seams were lined up properly and.... cut.
My cutting board, aka guest bed, and pattern weights, aka coasters and office miscellany.
I'm working in a Christmas party dress from Carolina Herrera sheer copper fabric using Burda 03/2010 # 104 (downloadable on the website).
It is difficult to photograph this fabric, which has an embossed copper floral design over black netting.
This shape of this dress is so basic, but I have never sewn with Burda before, and because I don't know my size in this brand, I spent a long time tweaking the fit of my muslin. I generally wear a size 12bust/14 hip in the Big 4, and determined that I'm a Burda 36. Burda patterns do not include seam allowances, and I decided to add a 5/8" allowance rather than a 3/8" allowance as the pattern calls for.
I dropped the bust point down just slightly, by 2/8"; anal, perhaps, but it's an alteration that's just too easy not to do: draw a box around the bust point, and drop it down the length you need (for ex., here's a 1/2 inch):
I also added darts to the back to remove excess fabric in that area. As you can see below, the inspiration dress has back darts as well.
I did this by placing a blouse pattern that has back darts onto the Burda pattern, and tracing its darts onto the dress pattern. (Yes, this is an alteration, beginner's style! But it worked.)
I'm hoping to finish the dress - and my Christmas shopping - this week in time for a party Saturday!