I'm using McCall's 3830; I have previously sewn this skirt, but after wearing the earlier version a few times, I've determined that the fit could be improved.
The fashion fabric is a very dark navy Vera Wang poly suiting (purchased from fabric.com last spring during its Vera Wang $1.95/yard fire sale).
The lining is vintage Aquascutum lining fabric snagged on Ebay (oh, the fabulously random items that can be found there!).
I am about half-way there, and am excited to see how the vent turns out (assuming I can determine how to attach the lining and fashion fabric vents together, which looks to be the trickiest part).
I would like to draft a godet for my next pencil skirt; I think it's another elegant way to finish a hem slit.
The classic reference book Vogue Sewing (which my sister fortuitously gave me as a gift years ago, well before I started garment sewing) has really good instructions on how to insert one.
I actually learned about godets from Project Runway: a contestant was discussing her hem finish, and another contestant - who was not professionally trained - lamented that he did not even know what a godet was. I didn't either, so I looked it up!
* * *
It was a Wadder Weekend for me. The second in a row, actually. I planned to make a dress from an amazing graphic silk, but the bodice just wasn't working with the lightweight silk. I used the silk instead for a simple shell with Simplicity 2599, which I've made before, but the armhole facings did not attach properly. I had already trimmed the seams and understitched, and needle marks will not come out of silk. It was time to just let this material go.