So what seemed to work was pinching the fabric at the top of the pattern piece and a slight rounded shoulder pie-shaped adjustment, shown here in my last post.
I think the yellow bodice above is much better than the original, yikes!
There is stilla bit of poufiness in the back, but guys, I think I've gotten it as good as I'm gonna get it. I'm sure a skilled seamstress could achieve a flawless fit, however I'm not a skilled seamstress!
I've fallen strangely in love with the bright sunflower colored textured cotton I used as trial fabric ($1.95/yd from fabric.com that I threw into an order to reach the minimum shipping amount), and I'm going to finish the dress with it to make sure the back fits with the skirt attached. I question whether the skirt is a bit snug in the hips which was pushing up the bodice, causing more fit issues, so I want to test this. After that, I'll finish the chino dress.
Hopefully I can complete the yellow dress soon. It's been hard finding sewing time! I'm on the Board of Directors of 2 non-profits, and my evenings have been busy with meetings. I went home for Easter for 5 days, and am going to Chicago next week for work.... It's just craziness lately!