I resisted the trend for so long; instead, I went in the other direction and wear primarily wide-leg jeans. But, I'm ready for a new silhouette, and the jeans will look nice with longer cardigans and jackets.
At this point, I can't think of a new clothing item that I want that I shouldn't be able to (attempt to) make. I don't intend to begin sewing knits yet, but I feel that I have enough cardigans and turtlenecks to get me through.
I'm so excited to start this challenge! Fall has always felt like a time of renewal and fresh starts - perhaps it's because of the rather dramatic weather change, or more likely because the new school year began in fall - so it's the perfect time to begin this project. I'm planning to begin projects that might have taken me months to make, because previously I could have gone out and bought a new skirt or top. I can’t wait to see what I'll create in the next year!
* * *
The 3 dresses I've made (well, the only garments I've made!), instruct the sewer to turn the bodice lining seam allowance under and hand stitch it to the bodice. I did this on the first version of Butterick 5316 I made, and really disliked the way the inside looked: very "Becky Home-ecy" as Michael Kors says.
I figured out how to machine stitch the skirt lining to the bodice lining: after sewing the bodice lining and fabric together, including basting the back seams on the sewing machine, I turned the bodice completely inside out so that the right side of the lining is on the outside. I turned the skirt lining inside out and placed the bodice inside the skirt with the right sides together, waists lined up.
The skirt, wrong side out, with the bodice tucked into it
Keeping the bodice fabric clear, I pinned and then machine-sewed the bodice lining to the skirt lining at the seam allowance. Turning it inside out, the result is a clean, much more RTW-looking interior:
And less hand sewing at the end!