Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The first day of my yearlong project

I didn't go on a wild shopping spree, but I did splurge on a pair of 7 For All Mankind "Straight" skinny jeans.




I resisted the trend for so long; instead, I went in the other direction and wear primarily wide-leg jeans. But, I'm ready for a new silhouette, and the jeans will look nice with longer cardigans and jackets.

At this point, I can't think of a new clothing item that I want that I shouldn't be able to (attempt to) make. I don't intend to begin sewing knits yet, but I feel that I have enough cardigans and turtlenecks to get me through.

I'm so excited to start this challenge!  Fall has always felt like a time of renewal and fresh starts - perhaps it's because of the rather dramatic weather change, or more likely because the new school year began in fall - so it's the perfect time to begin this project.  I'm planning to begin projects that might have taken me months to make, because previously I could have gone out and bought a new skirt or top.  I can’t wait to see what I'll create in the next year!

* * *

The 3 dresses I've made (well, the only garments I've made!), instruct the sewer to turn the bodice lining seam allowance under and hand stitch it to the bodice. I did this on the first version of Butterick 5316 I made, and really disliked the way the inside looked: very "Becky Home-ecy" as Michael Kors says.

I figured out how to machine stitch the skirt lining to the bodice lining: after sewing the bodice lining and fabric together, including basting the back seams on the sewing machine, I turned the bodice completely inside out so that the right side of the lining is on the outside. I turned the skirt lining inside out and placed the bodice inside the skirt with the right sides together, waists lined up.

The skirt, wrong side out, with the bodice tucked into it

Keeping the bodice fabric clear, I pinned and then machine-sewed the bodice lining to the skirt lining at the seam allowance. Turning it inside out, the result is a clean, much more RTW-looking interior:



And less hand sewing at the end!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Ha! I bought J. Crew "Toothpick" jeans just yesterday having resisted the trend also. I can't believe how much I love them. I am curvy but they are so flattering. Who'd have thought, right? Thanks for the lining tips.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Katherine - I agree! I'm hippy, but they are shockingly cute on. Why did we resist so long??

Alyssa said...

Just found you through sewweekly.com. I'm quite excited, as I've wanted to try to sew all my own stuff for a year as well, but being in school and thus not having any time I'll just live vicariously through you. A writer for Vogue named Nell Scovell wrote a great article about giving up shopping for a year. You should read it.

Dibs said...

Found you through sewweekly. I am also trying to sew my wardrobe this year. I will definitely be following your blog